Click here to view Equal Education's Comments on the Basic Education Laws Amendement Bill
- the National Education Policy Act, 1996, so as to amend or delete certain definitions;
- the South African Schools Act, 1996, so as to amend certain definitions and to define ‘‘loan’’; to provide for consultation with the Minister of Finance before uniform minimum norms and standards are determined; to ensure that there is no unfair discrimination in respect of official languages; to provide for the imposition of a suitable sanction if an appeal by a learner who had been expelled from a public school has been upheld by the Member of the Executive Council; to provide for public schools that provide education with a specialised focus on talent; to provide for additional functions of a principal of a public school; to provide for the training of governing bodies by recognised governing body associations; to prohibit political activities during school time; to require the approval of the Member of the Executive Council and the Member of the Executive Council responsible for finance before a governing body may enter into any loan or overdraft agreement to supplement the school fund; to empower the Member of the Executive Council to identify additional schools that may not charge school fees; and to further regulate the liability of the State for certain damages;
- the Employment of Educators Act, 1998, so as to amend certain definitions; and to regulate afresh the application of the said Act;
- the South African Council for Educators Act, 2000, so as to amend certain definitions; and to empower the council to promote in-service training of educators upon the payment of an agreed fee; and
- the General and Further Education and Training Quality Assurance Act, 2001, so as to amend certain definitions; and to provide for matters connected therewith.