Equal Education is a movement of learners, parents, teachers and community members working for quality and equality in South African education, through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. We work by identifying systemic and localised problems affecting the quality of education, and address these problems through local and national campaigns, a commitment to robust political education and campaign building with members, as well as building a strong research base through primary and secondary research.
Equal Education aspires to be a place where all of our members become conscious and active participants in society who strive to uphold values of honesty, equality, and inclusivity. Our principles for a safe and welcoming workplace aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and is safe for all who pass through the organisation.
Vacancy: Digital and social media officer
Duration: Fixed short-term contract. Full or part time.
Start date: Immediate
Location: Khayelitsha, Cape Town
Application closing date: 30 September 2020
To amplify the voices and experiences of Equal Education members, raise awareness of Equal Education’s work, grow the number of supporters and members of our movement, and to advance the movement’s campaigns. To lead on the development and implementation of Equal Education’s digital media and social media strategy. Ensure communications align with Equal Education’s values, and consistency in identity, across platforms.
The ideal candidate is passionate about using digital and social media to support the struggles of marginalised people against inequality; is highly creative and technically skilled; has a keen interest in politics, current affairs and the education system; and can hit the ground running and own the portfolio. Must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, social justice and human rights.
Responsible for Equal Education’s digital and social media platforms.
Working alongside the Communications Officer, and reporting to the General Secretary and Head of Communications. Key relationships: Equal Education members (learners, post-school youth, parents), political leadership (General Secretary and Deputy General Secretary), provincial youth organising departments, Research Department, and the Internal Education and Training Unit (IETU).
- Develop a digital media and social media strategy and integrate into overall media plans and activity
- Oversight of Equal Education’s digital media and social media channels including managing the dissemination of content
- Copywriting, editing and content development
- Monitor and report on engagement and impact, and metrics. Use results to make recommendations for measurable improvement and for future work
Skills and experience:
- An appropriate tertiary qualification in one of the fields of journalism, public relations, writing, digital marketing/advertising or online
- Minimum two years writing and editing experience
- Minimum two years digital marketing experience
- Substantial experience in social media campaigns (Facebook, Twitter, etc)
- Excellent web copywriting and editing skills
- Substantial experience in digital marketing techniques and web usability principles
- Substantial experience with digital and online analytics tools
- Substantial experience in writing and editing materials for multiple digital audiences in a clear and concise way with high standards of accuracy and according to agreed editorial standards
- Substantial experience in producing a wide range of quality materials for social media platforms
- Detailed knowledge of current and emerging digital and social media trends and developments
- Substantial experience of developing and implementing successful digital media strategies and campaigns
- Substantial experience in website development and maintenance
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in high pressured environment while managing competing priorities and deadlines
- Interest in, and personal commitment to, social justice
- Fluency in written and spoken English as well as isiXhosa, isiZulu or Sepedi
A willingness and ability to sometimes work after-hours, or on weekends and public holidays, is required.
- Experience across more than one of the following fields will be an advantage; journalism, public relations, writing, digital marketing/advertising or online
- Experience in social media principles and policies, search engine optimisation and website architecture
- Experience in multimedia (infographics, video etc)
- A complete application consists of a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Each document should be saved in PDF format with the name surname and type of document included in the title, i.e. XXXXXXX_XXXXXXX_cv.pdf
- You must indicate clearly in your cover letter and email subject line, which position you are applying for.
- You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic cover letters are strongly advised against.
- Please include a minimum of two contactable references.
- Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org