Equal Education is a movement of learners, parents, teachers and community members working for quality and equality in South African education, through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. We work by identifying systemic and localised problems affecting the quality of education, and address these problems through local and national campaigns, a commitment to robust political education and campaign building with members, as well as building a strong research base through primary and secondary research.
Equal Education aspires to be a place where all of our members become conscious and active participants in society who strive to uphold values of honesty, equality, and inclusivity. Our principles for a safe and welcoming workplace aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and is safe for all who pass through the organisation.
Vacancy: Digital and social media officer
Level: Mid-level to senior-level
Duration: Permanent full time position
Start date: 1 March preferable
Location: Khayelitsha, Cape Town
Application closing date: 7 February 2021
To amplify the voices and experiences of Equal Education members, raise awareness of Equal Education’s work, grow the number of supporters and members of our movement, and to advance the movement’s campaigns. To lead on the development and implementation of Equal Education’s digital media and social media strategy. Ensure communications align with Equal Education’s values, and consistency in identity, across platforms.
The ideal candidate:
- Highly creative;
- Highly technically skilled;
- Passionate about using digital and social media to support the struggles of marginalised people against
- Has a keen interest in politics, current affairs and the education system;
- Is able to hit the ground running and own the portfolio;
- Must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, social justice and human rights.
Responsible for Equal Education’s digital and social media platforms.
Working alongside the Communications Officer, and reporting to the General Secretary and Head of Communications. Key relationships: Equal Education members (learners, post-school youth, parents), political leadership (General Secretary and Deputy General Secretary), provincial youth organising departments, Research Department, and the Internal Education and Training Unit (IETU).
- Develop a digital media and social media strategy and integrate into overall media plans and
- Advanced monitoring and reporting on engagement and impact, and metrics. Use results to
make recommendations for measurable improvement and for future work
- Oversight of Equal Education’s digital media and social media channels including managing the
dissemination of content
- Content development
- Copywriting and editing
Skills and experience:
- An appropriate tertiary qualification in one of the fields of journalism, public relations, writing, digital marketing/advertising or online
- Minimum two years writing and editing experience
- Minimum two years digital marketing experience
- Substantial experience in social media campaigns (Facebook, Twitter, etc)
- Excellent web copywriting and editing skills
- Substantial experience in digital marketing techniques and web usability principles
- Substantial experience with digital and online analytics tools
- Substantial experience in writing and editing materials for multiple digital audiences in a clear and concise way with high standards of accuracy and according to agreed editorial standards
- Substantial experience in producing a wide range of quality materials for social media platforms
- Detailed knowledge of current and emerging digital and social media trends and developments
- Substantial experience of developing and implementing successful digital media strategies and campaigns
- Substantial experience in website development and maintenance
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in high pressured environment while managing competing priorities and deadlines
- Interest in, and personal commitment to, social justice
- Fluency in written and spoken English as well as isiXhosa, isiZulu or Sepedi
A willingness and ability to sometimes work after-hours, or on weekends and public holidays, is required.
- Experience across more than one of the following fields will be an advantage; journalism, public relations, writing, digital marketing/advertising or online
- Experience in social media principles and policies, search engine optimisation and website architecture
- Experience in multimedia (infographics, video etc)
To apply, email the below documents in a single PDF file, with name and surname:
● A one page cover letter detailing:
- Why you believe you are suited for this specific role
- A succinct summary clearly listing your experience in relation to above mentioned
- Curriculum vitae (CV) with a minimum of two contactable references
Generic cover letters are strongly advised against. An application which does not comply with these requirements will unfortunately be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to undergo assessments and/or submit pieces of work in evidence of experience.
Applications must be sent to email@example.com
Download the job specifications in PDF format here.Communications