Equal Education is excited to fill the following vacancy!
About Equal Education
Equal Education is a movement of learners, parents, teachers and community members working for quality and equality in South African education, through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. Equal Education works by identifying systemic and localised problems affecting the quality of education, and addresses these problems through local and national campaigns, a commitment to robust political education and campaign building with members, as well as building a strong research base through primary and secondary research.
Equal Education aspires to be a place where all of our members become conscious and active participants in society who strive to uphold values of honesty, equality, and inclusivity Our principles for a safe and welcoming workplace aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and safe for all who pass through the organisation.
Reports to: Communications Manager
Level: Middle Management
Location: Khayelitsha, Western Cape
Salary range: R210 000.000 – 264 000.00 TCTC /PA
Closing date: 23 June 2023
To amplify the voices and experiences of Equal Education members, raise awareness of Equal Education’s work, grow the number of supporters and members of our movement, and to advance the movement’s campaigns. The Communications Officer will be involved in all aspects of the development, execution and evaluation of EE’s internal and external communication strategies and activities, including but not limited to:
● Monitoring all education news, policy developments and research, in order to identify issues that EE should internally deliberate on, should publicly communicate on, or that could inform (advance or hinder) the work of EE;
● Developing internal and external communications strategies for the movement as a whole, for individual campaigns, and for individual EE activities;
● Working with EE members to amplify their voices, and develop their communications skills (including but not limited to how to use social media, prepare for media interviews and how to write op eds);
● Drafting, editing and disseminating media statements;
● Coordinating media interviews, and coordinating responses to media queries (assisting with drafting when required);
● Photographing and filming EE activities;
- Designing content for online and print (including but not limited to posters, banners and t-shirts);
● Creating content for EE’s social media platforms;
● Compiling internal and external publications, (including but not limited to annual reports);
● Managing EE’s communications databases;
● Monitor and report on social media engagement and impact, and metrics. Use results to make recommendations for measurable improvement and for future work
● Developing and maintaining archives for all internal and external communications materials.
Knowledge and skills:
● Strategic thinking and analytical skills
● Proven ability to develop effective communications strategies (internal, traditional media, social media)
● Excellent writing and editing skills
● Computer literacy, specifically Google Suite
● Proficiency in multiple social media platforms
● Proficiency in online content development tools (i.e. Canva, Photoshop, social media scheduling tools, video editing apps)
● Self-motivated, proactive, curious and committed to constant learning and improvement
● Ability to communicate and interact with all EE stakeholders
● A team player
Required qualifications and experience:
● An appropriate tertiary qualification in one of the fields of journalism, public relations, writing, digital marketing/advertising or online
● Minimum two years practical experience
● Background in human rights advocacy is an added advantage
● A qualification or experience in digital marketing is an added advantage
Successful candidates must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, social justice and human rights.
● A complete application consists of a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Each document should be saved in pdf format with the name, surname and type of document included in the title, i.e. XXXXXXX_XXXXXXX_cv.pdf.
● You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic cover letters are strongly advised against.
● A motivation letter should not be longer than 1 & 1⁄2 pages.
● Please include a minimum of three contactable references.
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, by no later than 23 June 2023.
Download the job specifications in PDF format here.Communications