Senior Manager: Fundraising and Communications
Report to: General Secretary
Level: Senior level
Location: Khayelitsha, Cape Town
Start date: 1 September preferable
Duration: Permanent Position
Salary range: R510,000 – R564,000 total cost to company per annum
Closing date: 29 July 2022
About Equal Education
Equal Education (EE) is a movement of learners, post-school youth, parents, teachers, and community members striving for quality and equality in South African education through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. EE provides a unique space for young people to engage together on important political topics and lead education campaigns, attracting around 5 000 learners every year from 150 rural and
Our principles for a safe and welcoming workplace aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and safe for all who pass through the organisation.
About the position
The Senior Manager: Fundraising and Communications will lead Equal Education (EE’s) fundraising work and provide strategic oversight to EE’s public communications. This role will be supported by a Head of Communications, and a Communications Officer. This is a Senior Management position, and therefore requires involvement in key strategic decisions for the organisation.
● Ensure EE’s three year fundraising strategy is updated and implemented.
● Lead the annual fundraising planning process and develop effective strategies for achieving targets.
● Develop new donor relationships and maintain existing ones. This includes writing proposals and reports, arranging meetings and presentations and generally managing relationships.
● Led by the General Secretary and the Deputy General Secretary, support the development of EE’s medium and long-term strategies.
● Together with the Finance Manager, enhance EE’s endowment contributions and explore opportunities for institutional sustainability.
● Together with the Finance Manager, ensure that budgets are cost-effective and realistic and aligned with organisational fundraising and other planning.
● Alongside the Head of Communications, update and implement EE’s overall communications strategy, in line with EE’s mission and 2023 – 2028 vision.
● Ensure that the Communications Department effectively fulfils the role of custodian of EE’s brand and reputation.
● Staff management: Manage the Communications Department, including a Head of Communications and a Communications Officer. Manage the staff members supporting fundraising and monitoring and evaluation. Manage team members’ workloads and oversee
● Alongside the Head of Communications, lead on developing any crisis communications strategy necessary.
● Together with the Senior Manager: Operations, design and implement adequate indicators, surveys and monitoring tools for the evaluation of programmes and campaigns.
● As an SMT member, play a proactive role in organisational strategic planning, organisational development, advising members of the SMT on the viability of funds , attending finance related meetings to give advice and report on fundraising matters.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
● A university degree – preferably at postgraduate level in communications or other relevant field;
● Three years management experience, preferably at senior management level;
● Experience with drafting donor proposals and reports;
● Experience with developing communications strategy, with an emphasis on media advocacy and digital marketing
● Experience with drafting communications outputs such as media statements and publications such as anual reports;
● Excellent written and spoken communication skills;
● Understanding of budget processes;
● Monitoring and evaluation experience is beneficial;
● Fully computer literate;
● A valid driver’s licence.
Candidates must be willing to travel. Successful candidates must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, social justice and human rights; be committed to strengthening the education system in South Africa and to investing time and energy to address the inequality that affects so many of our youth.
● A complete application consists of a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Each document should be saved in pdf format with the name, surname and type of document included in the title, i.e. XXXXXXX_XXXXXXX_cv.pdf
● Aim to keep CVs to a maximum of three pages
● You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic cover letters are strongly advised against.
● Please include a minimum of two contactable references.
Applications must be sent to email@example.com
Download a PDF version of the job description here