Head of Gauteng
The Equal Education (EE) Gauteng branch has won major victories in its campaign to ensure the provision of adequate sanitation facilities. Gauteng is a critical site of struggle with proximity to the Department of Basic Education. Members are organised primarily in the East Rand, with a growing presence in Soweto.
The Head of Gauteng is tasked with leading a team of staff and volunteers on campaign strategy, youth leadership development, political education, media engagement, as well as the management of finances and human resources matters.
The successful candidate is an activist and organiser who demonstrates the ability to lead EE in Gauteng, exploring synergies with partner organisations across the province.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Developing campaign strategies with EE Gauteng members, from the identification of problems, to data collection, and mobilisation
- Managing and developing the staff and volunteers of the Gauteng office
- Coordinating and running Youth Group meetings for EE members, and mass meetings of EE members
- Organising and running trainings and political education seminars and camps for EE members
- Contributing to and supporting research work
- Representing EE publicly through engaging stakeholders, academics, government and media
- Budget planning and monitoring
- Implementing the EE Policies and Procedures
Requirements for the role:
- Tertiary qualification in Social Sciences, Law, Community Organising or related field
- Knowledge of South African education policy
- Understanding of politics, law, government policy and civil society
- Experience in planning, coordinating and evaluating activities, projects and informal educational programmes
- A strong background in youth organising in the civil society sector, and demonstrated success in campaign advocacy work will be advantageous
- Must be independent, driven, a self-starter, and enjoy working with young people
- Ability to lead and mentor
- Willingness to work extended hours, including weekends and public holidays when necessary
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Fully computer literate
- Adept at using social media
The position is based in EE’s Gauteng office in the Johannesburg CBD. However, extensive time is spent with EE members in the East Rand and in Soweto.
Each application should include a CV and a letter of motivation. You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for, and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic letters are strongly advised against. Please also include two contactable references.
Applications must be sent to email@example.com
Closing date: 24 September 2018 at midnight