Equal Education is excited to fill the following vacancies!
About Equal Education
Equal Education is a movement of learners, parents, teachers and community members working for quality and equality in South African education, through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. Equal Education works by identifying systemic and localised problems affecting the quality of education, and addresses these problems through local and national campaigns, a commitment to robust political education and campaign building with members, as well as building a strong research base through primary and secondary research.
Equal Education aspires to be a place where all of our members become conscious and active participants in society who strive to uphold values of honesty, equality, and inclusivity Our principles for a safe and welcoming workplace aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and safe for all who pass through the organisation.
|Report to:||Heads of Research|
|Level:||Entry to mid-level|
|Location:||2 positions based in Boksburg, Gauteng|
|Start date:||1 March 2021 preferable|
|Duration:||1 year, with possibility of renewal depending on funding|
|Salary range:||R234,000 – R300,000 per annum|
|Closing date:||25 January 2021|
About the positions
Researchers play an important role in Equal Education’s (EE) advocacy and activism. Their work is informed and guided by the lived experiences of the movement’s members. The team builds the knowledge base which underpins campaigns and leverages legislative spaces for advocacy. There is a culture of collaboration with members of the Internal Education and Training Unit (IETU), Communications team, as well as the Equal Education Law Centre (EELC).
One Researcher position is for a Gauteng Researcher, who will provide research support to EE’s work in Gauteng. The other Researcher position will provide research support to EE’s work in Limpopo and KwaZulu-Natal. Both positions are based in Gauteng.
The researchers will work closely with the Heads of the Research Department and the Head of Organising in their provincial office.
● Leading on primary and secondary research related to campaigns in the province;
● Producing analysis and locally relevant research for both internal and external use;
● Translating formal research reports into outputs that range from the formal, such as policy briefs and discussion documents, to popular education materials including factsheets and pamphlets;
● Forming relationships with other stakeholders in the education sector, including universities and research institutes;
● Drafting media statements, op eds for newspapers, and content for social media;
● Supporting community engagement in the provincial EE office, including visiting schools, and communities in the province;
● Facilitating workshops or making presentations internally and externally;
● Collaborating with the EELC in drafting legal documents;
● Monitoring of local and international education news, education research, education policy and law reform, Parliamentary meetings, and activities of the provincial legislature; and
● Drafting submissions to Parliament, provincial legislatures and/or the relevant government departments.
Researchers are expected to contribute to a dynamic collaborative environment by working with members of the research team, as well as other departments within the movement wherever possible.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
● A university degree – preferably at postgraduate level in Education or Social Sciences;
● One to two years work experience in the same or a similar role;
● Very strong research, writing and editing experience;
● Excellent written and spoken communication skills;
● Additional South African language skills are highly valued;
● Knowledge of the South African education system and education policy or previous experience in a social movement, community-based organisation or public interest law centre would be beneficial;
● Possession of a valid driver’s license would be beneficial;
● Proficient in MS Office and GSuite; and
● Must be able to work efficiently and independently, and to manage multiple projects concurrently.
Candidates must be willing to travel.
Successful candidates must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, social justice and human rights; be committed to strengthening the education system in South Africa and to investing time and energy to address the inequality that affects so many of our youth.
|Application process |
● A complete application consists of a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Each document should be saved in pdf format with the name surname and type of document included in the title, i.e. XXXXXXX_XXXXXXX_cv.pdf
● Unless a specific preference is mentioned in the email subject line and cover letter of an application, all candidates will be considered for both positions.
● You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic cover letters are strongly advised against.
● Please include a minimum of two contactable references. Applications must be sent to email@example.com
Download the job specifications here.Research Department