Equal Education is excited to fill the following vacancy!
About Equal Education
Equal Education is a movement of learners, parents, teachers and community members working for quality and equality in South African education, through analysis and activism. Equal Education is organised in five provinces: Eastern Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, and the Western Cape. Equal Education works by identifying systemic and localised problems affecting the quality of education, and addresses these problems through local and national campaigns, a commitment to robust political education and campaign building with members, as well as building a strong research base through primary and secondary research.
Equal Education aspires to be a place where all of our members become conscious and active participants in society who strive to uphold values of honesty, equality, and inclusivity Our principles for a safe and welcoming workplace aim to create an environment that enables growth, is inclusive and safe for all who pass through the organisation.
HEAD: POLITICAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING
|Reports to:||Senior Manager: Development & Research|
|Location:||Khayelitsha, Western Cape|
|Salary range:||R288,000 – R324,000 per annum|
|Closing date:||26 February 2021|
About the position
The Head: Political Education and Training will lead a team responsible for developing engaging and creative content, activities and training sessions for EE’s learner members, volunteers and staff on campaigns and politically relevant topics. Content and training programmes should empower young
people to critically engage with the world by drawing from their lived experience, current affairs, liberation movements, history, literature, and education policy. Emphasis is placed on viewing complex issues through an intersectional lens. The Head: Political Education and Training works
collaboratively with peers in Research, Organising, and Communications to build narratives and produce materials which support EE’s advocacy and activism.
- Provide direction on content development for EE’s varied needs within the political orientation, and values of the movement;
- In collaboration with Organising Departments, develop a structured programme of weekly activities for EE’s high school members, which includes campaign-related content as well as relevant political and education topics;
- Oversee the preparation of weekly youth group activities for EE high school members and the training of volunteer facilitators;
- Coordinate and facilitate workshops, informal educational programmes and residential camps for EE members and organisers;
- Contribute to stimulating a learning culture amongst staff through organising seminars/workshops and regularly sharing relevant resources.
- Oversee the writing, editing and publication of readers, toolkits or training materials to support organising and movement building;
- Work with the Research Department to ensure that research outputs are translated into popular materials for members and the public; and
- Ensure that EE continues to incorporate engaging, creative, relevant and innovative content and methods of facilitation in our organising work;
- Supervise a team of two material developers and a curriculum developer;
The Head: Political Education and Training needs to be curious and well-informed as well as creative and innovative in developing training and popular education programmes for members and staff.
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- A university degree – preferably at postgraduate level in social science, e.g. Politics, Philosophy, Community Development or equivalent. Two years’ experience in the same or similar role, at least one of which at a managerial level;
- Experience working with youth or in communities using popular education;
- Understanding of intersectional politics, youth organising, and civil society will be advantageous;
- Experience in building strong networks and collaboration;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and mentor young people;
- Very strong writing, communication and facilitation experience;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license would be beneficial;
- Proficient in MS Office Suite; and
- Must be able to work efficiently and independently, and to manage multiple projects concurrently.
Successful candidates must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, social justice and human rights; be committed to strengthening the education system in South Africa and to investing time and energy to address the inequality that affects so many of our youth.
- A complete application consists of a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Each document should be saved in pdf format with the name surname and type of document included in the title, i.e. XXXXXXX_XXXXXXX_cv.pdf
- You must indicate clearly in your cover letter and email subject line, which position you are applying for.
- You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at EE. Generic cover letters are strongly advised against.
- Please include a minimum of two contactable references.
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the job specifications here.Secretariat’s Department