WANT TO WORK FOR A DYNAMIC YOUTH LED ORGANISATION?
Equal Education in the Western Cape, Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng is calling for applications for its 2021 Community Leadership Internship Programme.
Equal Education’s Community Leadership (CL) Internship Programme is for young people who are passionate about being leaders within and outside of their communities. Through the program, aspiring young activists develop leadership, facilitation, community organising and communication skills.
During the internship, CLs will be involved in running Youth Groups; Youth group is our main platform for engaging and developing Equalisers.
The work of a CL will entail: working with a team of facilitators, building strong relationships in communities and schools, and participating in assisting with campaigns. Participants must be energetic, hard-working, self-motivated, have good facilitation skills and be team players who are able to adapt to a fast-changing environment.
The 2021 CL Internship Programme entails the following:
- It is a one year, full-time, paid internship based in the Youth Department.
- Building strong relationships with various stakeholders including parents, schools and organisations.
- Each CL will be an integral part of youth groups, which includes working with a team of Facilitators, Equalisers (high school going members) and parents and ensuring that logistics around youth groups are taken care of.
- Political education, leadership development, and other training workshops.
- Representing EE on public and private platforms.
- Contribute to shaping an environment that is equal and safe for Equalisers to participate in.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive environment for both members and staff at EE.
- Provide support and training to facilitators.
- Show a commitment to movement building and building communities.
- Must have an interest in working with young people.
- Office hours are 09:00 – 17:00. However, CLs work flexible hours (late evenings and weekends).
Who should apply?
- Must be between ages of 18 – 25.
- Past experience working with schools and facilitation would be an advantage.
- Are able to commit 100% of your time to the organisation. Successful applicants must be able to start the programme full-time on 1 February 2021.
- Skills and Competencies
a. Must have matriculated
b. Basic computer literacy
c. Sound organising skills
d. Previous facilitation and public speaking experience would be advantageous
e. Previous experience at a youth development organisation would be advantageous
- Characteristics we are looking for include:
● Ethical Leadership
● Ability to work hard and focus
● Communication skills
● Interest in human rights issues
● Problem solving techniques.
Download the application form here.
Closing date: Friday 15 January 2021 at midnight.
Equal Education is seeking to fill the vacancies of Junior Organisers in the National Organising team to be based in its Gauteng office, with regular travel to Kwa-Zulu Natal and Limpopo and in the Western Cape to be based in the Equal Education Head office in Khayelitsha. The successful candidate must have a strong commitment to democracy, equality, intersectionality, social justice and human rights.
Job position: Junior Organiser
Position: This is a 2 year fixed term contract based at EE’s Gauteng office and Western Cape reporting to the Head of National Organising and Head of Western Cape.
Description: The Junior Organiser plays a critical role in the movement, and is tasked with assisting the Head of National Organising or Western Cape in developing and implementing strategic organising and campaign plans; supporting Community Leaders, Facilitators, Parents and Equalisers (high school going learners) in youth organising; growing and sustaining our movement; and assisting with stakeholder outreach.
● Active role model.
● A strong commitment to and experience in building communities.
● Interest in working with and developing young people.
● A commitment to strengthening the education system in South Africa and to investing time and energy to break the inequality that youth face every day.
● Experience in facilitating engagements with and training young people.
● Excellent interpersonal skills.
● Demonstrate good leadership skills.
● Must be able to work independently.
● Computer literate.
Download the application form here.
Closing date: Friday 15 January 2021 at midnight.Western Cape